Our babies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Poor Miss Maddy

Sorry it has been a while since I updated - things have been pretty busy around here.
For the May Long weekend we went to Medicine Hat and had a really nice time being with family. I took Maddy to meet my mom, stepdad and siblings on Saturday and it went really, really well. They loved her immediately of course!

The rest of the week was not so great. On Sunday Maddy started to get her molars and was also getting a cold. By Tuesday she was really sick. She was lethargic and had a bit of a temperature. She also had a horrible sounding cough. By the afternoon she was vomiting over and over and her fever shot up to 104 so I took her to Emergency. She was taken back immediately and by this time was so lethargic and pale I was very frightened. They took her oxygen level and it was only 54 the first time (it should be around 92). So they put her on oxygen and took her for xrays. They also put her on IV fluids because she was throwing up so much.


The xrays came back and the doctor wanted to rush her to Alberta Childrens Hospital because he saw what he thought was probably bad pneumonia. It was so terrible to find out she had penumonia. I always thought of it as something you caught from being underdressed outside or something and felt like a terrible parent. The doctor assured me that it is caught just like a cold or flu and there was nothing we could have done.

So her and I went in an ambulance to Alberta Childrens Hospital and daddy followed. Once there they gave her more fluids and antibiotics. Her fever shot up once more and she threw up again but then she seemed to start getting better. After being there for 5 or 6 hours they sent us via ambulance to Peter Lougheed to the childrens ward over night for observation. Here she continued to improve and get her strength back. By 5 pm the next evening they released her with antibiotics.
I took a couple of pics with my cell phone so I can always remember how scary it was....


Linda drove up from Medicine Hat the day Maddy was released so she could help us. In 48 hours we had gotten about 3 hours of sleep and were EXHAUSTED!. It was immensley helpful having her and i think Maddy really loved to see her after being so sick. It ended up being great that she came too because Josh ended up getting really sick on Thursday and so I wouldn't have had any help caring for her.

Over the next couple of days Maddy continued to get better. On Friday she slept for 5 1/2 hours in the afternoon (and Mommy and daddy snuck a couple of hours in too) and she woke up almost perfectly normal. She ate like she hadn't eaten in days and she was running around and being her wonderful self... Josh is a bit better now but I am feeling a little sick!

It was a terrible, scary experience and one we hope to never be in again. Seeing her so helpless and so sick and thinking that we, as her parents, should have been able to prevent it was the worst feeling I have ever felt. Thankfully we were lucky she was able to make a full recovery with no permanent side effects. It really makes you realize how precious and fragile life is and we are just so glad that she is okay.....

2 comments:

Choppy said...

Holy crap Tara, that is crazy. Im so glad she is ok!!! That must have been so scary for you guys, holy. I cant imagine. Im glad she is better again.

Anonymous said...

Grampa and I can honestly say this was worse than having our own kids sick - the call was terrifying and the decision to go immedialty or not was awful. Never know if you will helpful or over bearing???

We are so thnakful Maddy was close enough so we could get there without allot of problem. Our sweet little birdie was sick and her Mommy and Daddy looked nearly as bad - it was a gift to be able to help take care of her during this scary time.

Tara and Josh did an incredible job handling the crisis and Maddy is lucky to have their cool heads in an emergency and their loving care in her recuperation.

Lots of Love Grampa and Grama Mo
XXXXXXXX..........